Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Advent

This year I discovered that I am the Christmas Police. Everywhere I look, people are celebrating Christmas wrong. I saw Christmas Trees and lights on houses in the middle of November. People seem to have forgotten when Christmas begins and I’m putting the smack down on them.

The Yuletide season begins 4 Sundays before Christmas (or the Sunday after the feast of St. Andrew). This is according to the liturgical calendar. I contend that if Christians are going to pretend Christmas is a Christian holiday, then I’m going to use their calendar to determine the beginning of Christmas. This year it begins today, November 30th.

I celebrate First Advent by putting up the tree and other decorations. I also light the first purple candle on my Advent Wreath. Many of you may not use Advent Wreaths, you're celebrating wrong.




Here’s what you need for a wreath:
3 purple candles
1 rose colored candle
1 white candle
Something to hold them
Greenery of some kind

The first candle is the prophecy candle. It would be appropriate to read Isaiah 7:14, “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”

You can also sing the beloved carol, “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”

Get a pdf




I also drank some Julmust that I found at IKEA. It’s some Swedish Christmas beverage. It tastes kind of like Coke, but less acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment